Tuesday, March 31, 2020

How to Set Smart Goals

How to Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals

(And Accomplish What You Want in Life)


Chance are, you have dreams, a to-do list, and maybe even a rough list of goals. Or maybe you're a bit more organized and you have your goals divided up into days, weeks, months, and years. Even better, you've managed to cross off some of these goals because you've already accomplished them and you're heading on towards the next task at hand. If so, that's great.

But, have you ever had goals and dreams that you have written down but never ended up crossing off, even to this day? If you have problems achieving what you want to accomplish in life, learning about how to set S.M.A.R.T. goals can help you finally make your dreams and goals come true. 


What are S.M.A.R.T Goals?


Significant
Manageable
Advantageous
Rewarding
Timely


What does this mean in terms of accomplishing goals?

  • Your goals should be Significant in that they will solve a problem, add substance to your life, or otherwise aid you positively in some way. 
Ask yourself questions like:
"Will this goal help me in the future?" 
"Is this goal relevant to attaining my long-term goals?"
"Is this goal something I really want or need to accomplish?"
"Will this goal be a big help to me if I complete it?"
"Is this goal going to serve a purpose that will benefit me?"

If the answers to these questions are all "yes," you have a significant goal that you should pursue. 

  • Making your goals Manageable is important; Setting unrealistic, unattainable, or unhelpful goals will only serve to discourage you, waste time better spent, and distract you from what really matters.
When thinking of how to make your goals manageable, ask yourself these questions:

"Do I have the time, resources, and abilities/skills to complete this goal?"
"Is this goal realistic in regards to what I wish/need to accomplish?"
"Can I pursue this goal in addition to the rest of my tasks and responsibilities, without causing undo stress and over-burdening myself?"

If your answers are all "yes," you have a manageable goal. 

  • Advantageous goals are those that will advance you, your career, your health, or anything else you with to improve in your life. These are the goals you set in order to reap results and move forward in your objectives.
To figure out if a goal you're setting is advantageous, ask yourself questions like:

"Will this help me boost my finances, sales, skills, relationships, etc.?"
"Will this have a positive impact on my life when I complete it?"
"Will this goal help to improve me and my life situation upon completion?"

If your answers are "yes," your goal with be of advantage to you.

  • Rewarding goals can be like your advantageous goals, but rewarding goals are more applicable to your well-being than advantageous to your status in your career, family, and life. Rewarding goals are meant to be goals that motivate you to succeed and add essential meaning to your life. These can be goals that relate to self-improvement, relationships, health(mental, physical, and emotional), spirituality, and the like.
If you want to know if the goals you are setting are rewarding, ask questions like:

"Will completing this goal make me happier or healthier?"
"Will fulfilling this goal boost my self-esteem/confidence?"
"Will working on this goal improve my relationships with others?"
"Can this goal improve my spirituality or outlook on life?"

If you said "yes," your goals are rewarding 

  • Timely goals are those that you will finish given a set deadline or self-imposed completion date. 
Ask yourself these questions if you want to know if your goals are achievable in a given time-frame:

"Can I complete this goal by [set date] or in a certain [time frame]?"
"When broken down into smaller goals to be completed in a (example: week-by-week) basis, will my larger goal be finished by the deadline?"
"Do I have enough time in my schedule to pursue this goal?"

If the answers are all "yes," then you have enough time to go after your goal(s). 


Once you set S.M.A.R.T. goals, you are on track to completing the most important objectives in your life and you will be well on your way to a better life. 

When pursuing your goals you will want to review the questions asked here and plan your schedule accordingly. Take time and your other responsibilities into consideration while you do this and you will discover that once-impossible goals are quite achievable. 



16 comments:

  1. This new take on SMART goals seems interesting. I need to implement them to finally be able to achieve my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's a nice theory. I think we all need to have some realistic goals to move forward in our lives. Thanks for sharing these ideas with us !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to start planning out my goals with this SMART method!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made it so clear! What a helpful and encouraging read

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these tips on making SMART goals. I always struggle with goal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely an interesting way to remember how to set practical goals; S.M.A.R.T — love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use smart goals for both my personal and professional life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the SMART goals. Might have to go back and reorganize my goals to better reach them

    ReplyDelete
  9. The SMART goals applies to all industry, even in our daily life. Whoever invented this is truly genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think making a dream into a goal takes a lot of courage for many people, and this would be a great way to start putting it into execution. Perhaps looking at it as small baby steps instead of something huge and terrifying :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I set goals, start working on them but find it difficult to complete. Well, it might be because whatever goals I set are not manageable. Well, thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's true and thank you for sharing this article. It is really of paramount importance to set our goals for us to know the right direction we should go to in life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe in the importance of SMART goals. All goals have to be done purposefully and thoughtfully. The SMART system is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this new way of looking at SMART goals. To be honest, I've been fearful of goals but am starting to take the leap and realize they are helping me propel forward!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely an interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. With being stuck at home, I'm trying to set goals for myself! This is great

    ReplyDelete